Get paid to sing and learn
Berkshire Choral International offers a competitive, paid apprentice program for professional-track undergraduate and graduate students. It’s an opportunity for singers, accompanists, and choral conductors (all must sing) to intensively study and rehearse major orchestral works with eminent conductors.
At our home campus in Sheffield, Massachusetts, this is a three-week program (July 17 to August 7 for the 2016 season).
- Five hours of choral rehearsals each day
- Classes taught by our professional music staff
- Private lessons and coaching
- Master classes with soloists and BCI conductors
- Group recitals
- Participation in Saturday night concerts
As a singer apprentice at our Sheffield campus, you’ll enjoy several vocal master classes with our guest soloists.
As a conducting apprentice at our Sheffield campus, you’ll have weekly opportunities to lead small ensembles of choristers in the afternoons. You’ll also have the chance to conduct a small choir of choristers who have volunteered to sing anthems or service music at local churches.
A conducting apprenticeship is also available in Vienna, Austria, July 10 - 17, 2016. Please contact the office for program details and requirements.
As an accompanist apprentice at our Sheffield campus, you’ll have weekly opportunities to play for sectional rehearsals, small ensemble rehearsals, apprentice recitals, and apprentice master classes.
Room, board, and stipend
As an apprentice, you’ll receive room and board, a stipend of $200 per week, and all the vocal scores.
In return, you’ll be required to assist in various ways, including facilitating rehearsals for the soloists, conductors, and orchestra and assisting staff on registration days. You’ll have one day off each week.
Application deadline: March 1
Please submit the following:
- Cover letter
- Resume that includes date of birth, musical and educational accomplishments, information about general interests, and computer competency level
- Letter of recommendation from a teacher or coach
- MP3 file or CD of three contrasting art songs or arias, sung in two languages
- Conductors and accompanists must also submit visual and aural representations of their work
Electronic submissions are preferred.
Please submit your materials to Chorister Services Director Cynthia Pease: email@example.com Before sending large files, please contact Ms. Pease at 413-229-1254 so she can assure that your submission is received properly.
Berkshire Choral International
245 North Undermountain Road
Sheffield, MA 01257